Monday, May 25, 2009

Baby # 2 Update

So, I figured I would update everyone with what has been going on as we are getting close to meeting baby # 2. :) As some of you may know, we had a false alarm last Wed. and baby # 2 decided not to make his appearance. It seems my body likes to have a looooooooong period of time when it has contractions before it goes into labor.
With Elijah I had seriously painful and regular contractions for about a week before I was finally induced to move the process along. At first they thought the contractions were false labor, until they put an internal monitor on and verified just how strong they were! Mind, you the contractions were coming every minute at that point! It is difficult to do ANYTHING when you are having serious contractions every minute of the day and night. So, they gave me some meds to help me sleep, but they were making me hallucinate and talk about boats on the freeway, so I decided it was best to skip those pills and suffer through. So, that is enough about Elijah's birth.
Back to baby # 2 (and no we haven't picked a name yet and that is why I keep referring to him as baby #2)--last Wed. the contractions were so bad it was causing me to throw up. Then, the dehydration made the contractions worse and they went from being once every 30 minutes or so to every four or five minutes. I called the doctor and she said to go ahead and go into the hospital. So, Ian drove home from work and we prepared to meet baby # 2!
However, once we got to the hospital and they gave me lots of IV fluids, the contractions slowed way down to about one every 15 min. or so. The doctor confirmed that the "false labor" hadn't produced any cervical change, so I was sent home that evening. Those of you that have been through it know how horrible it is to get sent home from the hospital when all you want to do is get that freaking baby out of your body!
So, since then the contractions are still at an annoyingly constant pace (about 3 or 4 minutes apart morning, noon and night) and are picking up in intensity. I have been popping the Tylenol and that is helping me get some sleep (I promise the doc said that was OK to do). In the meantime, we have been trying to patiently await baby # 2's arrival. Keep the process in your prayers. I pretty much feel like a crippled hermit. I can't physically do much around the house or with Elijah or drive anywhere because the cramping pains are too often and too intense. Hurry up, baby # 2!!

2 comments:

  1. AHHH! Hang in there! Praying for you and your family. Let me distract you . . . How do fish get around in the ocean? They use a taxi crab! :) A proton walks into a bar and asks the bartender for a diet coke (or course!). The bartender asks, "Are you sure?" The proton replies, "I'm positive!" Get it? Protons have a positive charge, hee hee. You are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, we're praying for you and precious Baby #2. Hope he hurries out and introduces himself!

    ReplyDelete